Sunday 24 January 2016

WEEK 2 Landscape

Traditional Shoot a beautiful landscape and share it with the world. Find a nice foreground and don't forget the sky.

For this weeks shoot I took my camera out into the Marsden Moors.  I was semi-familiar to the old working class town and I love an excuse to half a wonder through its hills.    It doesn't take too long to find somewhere that's picturesque.

There were a few problems that I had getting this shot, that I'll go through as I encountered them.  At first I arrived a few hours before dark, normally this can be a great thing, the colours of the sunset would have made a great landscape photo but instead I had a sky full of grey clouds.  Not that I was complaining too much, as I love a bleak setting.

I parked by car briefly over the Tops, secretly hoping I'd wonder on some stray sheep (hold that thought...) that I could throw into the photo.  Alas, there was none.  I walked up the hill and I found the nearest peak I could, walking up a very ill-used car track I stumbled upon large black rocks that looked like a tomb of an abandoned soldier.


Walking a little bit further up the moors expanded in front of me, and all of its wind as well.  I felt like I was in a sitcom trying to balance my tripod while the wind was tipping it over, with the wind both blowing away the tripod carry case and then it carrying my rucksack.  Eventually I took a few shots, looking for lines in the grass and in the sky.  Fucking around with the shutter speed and aperture and eventually I got this.

I didn't realise just how dark it turned out but gave me an excuse to tinker with my macs editing suite (it's a little rusty, but it will do for now).

Anyway, I'm pleased with the end result.  Looking forward to the next landscape challenge.




No comments:

Post a Comment