Sunday 31 January 2016

WEEK 5 Landscape: Black and White

 Look for a scene with great contrast that will make a great black and white.

Today I learned a valuable lesson- if it's raining bring an umbrella.  Yes, it's a novice mistake but god-damn, the amount of times I had to stop to wipe the rain of the lens, or felt like I was waving through a pool to adjust my aperture. Anyway....

In many ways I've gone down the predictable root this week and gone for the graveyard shot.  I just felt that to get a good black and white contrast is with gravestones.  It's slightly more challenging that you would think, because even though a gravestone makes for an interesting photo, it doesn't necessarily make for an interesting landscape photo.  At least not one where it looks significantly interesting, or just like an other graveyard.

To get out of the typical ruts I would find myself in. i.e got to a high point and click, or find an angel statue and let it be the prominent thing in the frame, I instead tried to find lines.  Lines help to frame the picture.  So after a few random shots, one involving Fee looking like she was urinating on a grave (sorry Fee), I tried to line up the trees by the gravestones, which while it had an interesting effect, didn't do for me what I wanted, and still didn't achieved the landscape quota (don't ask what the landscape quota is, because I don't know till I see it.)

Finally I was looking through my lens, blind to everything else around me.  And this was after I was taking photos of the trees, and suddenly the path opened towards me, and it was there. The desolate graveyard, the over hanging dead trees in the background, the wet floor, it was exactly what I wanted.


Other notes: No tripod this week. It's probably effected the look of the photo, but I didn't mind a little tilt, because it was a lot easier to gaze around without the restriction of the tripod set up.



No comments:

Post a Comment